Share my blog

Yes, I know it has only been three months since I was here on an emergency visit to take care of my parents. Back in March-April, my dad was in the hospital. He is on dialysis three days a week, and my mom has Parkinson’s and needs full time home care.

A couple of weeks ago my dad was back in the hospital again. After being hospitalized for the second time in two weeks I decided that they needed me to be here to take care of both of them. Realizing that they now need round-the-clock home care, I had to hire nighttime help as well as to turn the daytime part-time help into full-time.

It has been a roller coaster since we arrived in California after midnight on Friday. My dad had dialysis on Saturday. I picked him up from dialysis, but he was weak and not able to stand up on his own at home, having to use a walker. I was on my own with him and my mom on Sunday and he got worse as the day went on. I thought it was caused by the dialysis and that he just needed rest. But at 10 pm I had a horrible experience with him and was having to hold him up as he had lost all control of his body and his muscles went to Jello. I had to call 911 for the ambulance to take him back to the hospital. It was a nightmare as I had my mom to take care of too.

On Monday my sister called to tell me that they took her mother-in-law off of life support. She had been in nursing care for several months as her health declined. My sons Jonathan & Joshua & my daughter-in-law Liz all went to visit her at the hospital to say their goodbyes. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to go as I had to take care of my mom while my dad was in the hospital. We attended her funeral yesterday and went back to their house for prayers. More about Hanni in my next post. We are so totally exhausted both physically and emotionally. Have not had much sleep until last night when Steve & I went to sleep at 7 pm and slept until 6 am the next morning.

I finally arranged full-time home care for my parents so I will have a little bit of a break each day. Steve has to fly back to Utah for work this week. My parent’s conditions have both worsened and I am so thankful that I am here to spend the next few weeks with them. This is my third trip to California in seven months. It was weird being at Heathrow leaving England while thousands were arriving for the Olympics.

Family is everything and my parents are more important than the Olympics. No matter how stressful and exhausting each trip here is under the circumstances, I feel that at least I have parents to come home to take care of. Thank you to all of you that have kept my parents in their thoughts and prayers. It means so to have such special friends in our lives.

0 thoughts on “Back in the USA

  1. Maxine, I am so sorry that you are having so much stress. When we become the carers for our parents, it is such a difficult time for us as well as them. I wish you strength and am sending you some positive vibes and pray that all will be OK. It must have been so upsetting when you had to call 911 for your Dad. Is it possible he is suffering from mini strokes as well as his other complaint? Take care, Maxine. Elaine x

  2. Hi Maxine–so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be so terribly difficult to deal with your parents and their ill health. I remember my mom’s decline and how hard it was to see her go like that. You and Steve must be mentally drained, as well as the physical fatigue you mentioned. Our prayers are with you.


    Sam and Sharon

  3. Maxine,
    I just wanted you to know that I have been keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. You are very fortunate to be able to be with them at this time in your lives. May your days be less stressful and more peaceful. Don’t forget to take care of yourself!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.